I am 陈易生 (Yik San Chan) and I go by "Evan" in English speaking environments. I grew up in 惠州 (Huizhou), China and I work as a software developer living in San Francisco, US. Besides coding, I also write to learn and teach. I believe in what Richard Feynman said, "What I cannot create, I do not understand".
Here are a list of what I did in a reverse chronological order.
- 2021/01-?: New journey in China.
- 2019/04-2020/12: Built Tubi's ad systems from scratch. Find more details in this post and another post from my CTO.
- 2018/09-2019/04: Revamped Twitter Ads API.
- 2018/05-2018/08: Interned at Google.
- 2018/02-2018/05: Interned at Twitter.
- 2017/05-2017/08: Interned at Amazon.
- 2016/08-2017/12: Master of Information Systems Management at Carnegie Mellon University.
- 2012/09-2016/07: Bachelor of Economics at 北京大学 (Peking University).
There are three major moves in my career.
- In 2021/01, me and my girlfriend 京含 made the decision to move back to China.
- In 2019/04, I joined a startup after working at several big tech companies. I compare the very different experience in 在创业公司做程序员是怎样一种体验？.
- In 2018/01, I became a software engineer in 16 months with an Economics background. I explain what I did and saw along the journey in 从经济系毕业生到硅谷程序员.
海龟龟论坛 (haiguigui.com) is a community where we share job market observations on both U.S. and China. I co-created it with my girlfriend 京含, because when we were looking for jobs in China, we hoped such a community existed.